Current:Home > NewsTaylor Swift Cancels Austria Concerts After Confirmation of Planned Terrorist Attack -NextFrontier Finance
Taylor Swift Cancels Austria Concerts After Confirmation of Planned Terrorist Attack
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 10:25:01
Taylor Swift’s upcoming concerts in Austria were the target of an alleged terror plot.
Authorities in Vienna confirmed to NBC News Aug. 7 that two men have been arrested in connection to planned attacks on major events in the city, including the “Karma” singer’s upcoming Eras Tour shows on Aug. 8, Aug. 9, and Aug. 10, which have been canceled.
"Due to confirmation by government officials of a planned terrorist attack at the Ernst Happel Stadium," event organizer Barracuda Music wrote on Instagram Aug. 7, "we have no choice but to cancel the three planned shows for everyone's safety."
Swift's website also announced that all tickets for the three shows "will be automatically refunded within the next 10 business days."
One of the suspects taken into custody is a 19-year-old man who had allegedly pledged allegiance to the Salafi-jihadist group ISIS, Vienna State Police Director Franz Ruf and the head of the State Police Gerhard Purstl said during a press conference Aug. 7. The authorities also noted, per NBC News, another arrest was made later that afternoon.
Authorities explained that the arrested suspects had “detailed” plans to carry out an attack, and the 19-year-old had been found with chemical substances which authorities are currently trying to determine whether could be used to make a bomb.
E! News has reached out to reps for Swift regarding the arrests and cancelation, but has not yet heard back.
The arrest comes less than a month after an individual was arrested prior Swift’s concert in Gelsenkirchen, Germany, due to threats against Swift and her boyfriend Kansas City Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce, both 34.
According to the Associated Press, a 34-year-old man had purchased a ticket for the Miss Americana star’s July 17 concert, but was arrested upon entry into the Veltins-Arena, following “tips from organizers of the event.”
And while Swift did not publicly address the previous arrest, she had spoken adamantly before about the precautions she has in place to keep her shows, fans and loved ones safe—calling any violence at her shows her “biggest fear” after the bombing at an Ariana Grande concert and shooting at the Route 91 Harvest music festival in 2017.
“I was completely terrified to go on tour this time because I didn’t know how we were going to keep 3 million fans safe over seven months,” she wrote in an essay for Elle in 2019. “There was a tremendous amount of planning, expense, and effort put into keeping my fans safe.”
(E! News and NBC News are both a part of NBCUniversal).
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (95958)
Related
- Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
- Small twin
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
Ranking
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- How breaking emerged from battles in the burning Bronx to the Paris Olympics stage
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Recommendation
Vance jokes he’s checking out his future VP plane while overlapping with Harris at Wisconsin airport
What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
What to watch: O Jolie night
Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions